These Easy Salted Caramel Apple Dumplings are mouth-watering and delicious!!
They come together quickly with simple ingredients and are always a favorite apple season treat!
Did I mention that September 17th is National Apple Dumpling Day?!!
This recipe has been around a long time and was always a favorite. I remember my work bff making them 20+ years ago in our office break room kitchen.
The ingredients stuck with me as well.
Apples, canned Crescent Rolls and Mountain Dew. Plus a good bit of butter, sugar and cinnamon!!
You can shake your head at these ingredients, but once you take a bite of the warm pastry wrapped apples swimming in a heavenly caramel sauce….you won’t judge!
Making the Salted Caramel Sauce
This is meant to be a rustic recipe. I mean the word ‘Easy’ is in the title so let’s not work too hard. For the sauce simply melt the butter with the sugars, vanilla and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
How To Assemble the Apple Dumplings
- Peel, core and cut apple into 8 wedges
- Open the crescent rolls and lay them out flat
- Place an apple at the wide end of each crescent roll
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped walnuts
- Roll and place in buttered pie plate
- Pour caramel sauce over dumplings
- Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the dumplings
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40-45 minutes until deep golden brown
- Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream
I’m here to tell you that your kitchen will smell like a million bucks! Hell, your whole house will be swirling with the aromas of sweet baked cinnamon caramel apples.
You’ll want to serve these Salted Caramel Apple Dumplings in bowls, drizzled with the heavenly syrup and topped with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of chopped walnuts (if you like).
This is a recipe the whole family will love. It’s perfect for entertaining and can be partially prepped ahead. Wait to add the caramel sauce and Mountain Dew until just before baking.
All my best,
Pin It For Later
Easy Salted Caramel Apple Dumplings
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled, core, and cut ito 8 wedges
- 1 8 count can crescent rolls I used Pillsbury Grands Crescents
- 1 stick salted butter (8 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or apple pie spice divided
- 6 ounces Mountain Dew or other lemon lime soda
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a pie plate or 9×9 baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until butter has melted. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, open crescent rolls and lay flat. Place an apple wedge at the wider end of each crescent roll. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a teaspoon of chopped walnuts and roll. Place into buttered pie plate. Repeat with remaining seven apple wedges.
- Pour caramel sauce over apple dumplings. Then pour Mountain Dew around the edges of pie plate. Bake for 40-45 minutes until dumplings are deep golden brown. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Delicious served with vanilla ice cream and chopped walnuts.