This week’s whole roasted chicken got bathed in rich Homemade Enchilada Sauce. Think BBQ Chicken, only basted with that wonderful chili and tomato based sauce. When it came out of the oven it was a sight to behold. We first enjoyed our chicken dinner which later became Chicken Enchiladas Soup.
This soup began the day before with a batch of Homemade Enchilada Sauce. We used that to baste our roast chicken, infusing flavor from the very start.
We used about a 1/2 cup of sauce for basting and reserved the rest to go into our soup. As we do each week, we picked the chicken carcass and reserved the meat. Then it was into the soup pot for this guy to make our Homemade Chicken Broth.
On to the soup. Once we had a nice rich broth that had been skimmed of fat we added fire roasted corn, black beans, diced onion, jalapeno, mild green chiles, the reserved cooked chicken and our remaining enchilada sauce. We simmered the soup for about 20 minutes.
We served our Chicken Enchiladas Soup with shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro and homemade tortilla chips. What began as a delicious chicken dinner turned into big bowls of delicious flavor.
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup of Homemade Enchilada Sauce (recipe link in post)
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chiles
- 2 ears corn, fire roasted & kernels removed
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed & drained
- 4-6 cups chicken broth, according to taste
- shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips
- In a Dutch oven, sauté onion and jalapenos until tender, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, cilantro and tortilla chips.
2,578 total views, 4 views today