I’m off this week. Off from work. My day job is running a door lock and hardware company. Strike that. My day job is motivating and hopefully at times inspiring my work family. Ultimately we all want the same, from work. It’s where we make our living, which funds our passions.
This recipe has nothing to do with that. But I wanted to share where I am right now.
I’m home. On a Monday. Happy feet. I’m hungry. Let’s have grits. I’m sorry, but I’m channeling my twitter voice. Roughly poetic.
Why stop at grits when the recipe on the side of the bag suggests casserole? When you read casserole, what comes to mind first? It’s a bit twisted for me. Casseroles deliver comfort, but they’re also delivered to those who need comfort most, which we don’t celebrate, but embrace.
I’m on Day #23 of sharing Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes. This might be better served to your HUGE family that rolled into town, waking up looking forward to brunch. This Cheesy Jalapeno Grits Casserole will satisfy their breakfast & brunch needs.
This morning, this cheesy gritty casserole with a hint of spice (not gritty in texture, this is creamy and smooth and buttery), hit the spot. A great brunch dish or breakfast for dinner dish.
- 3 cups water
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Jim Dandy quick grits
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 jalapeno, fine diced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch or similar casserole dish.
- Combine water and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisk in grits. Cook for 5-7 minutes until slightly thickened; remove from heat.
- Add 1½ cup shredded cheddar and butter until melted. Add milk, eggs, jalapeno, and pepper. Whisk until when combined.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish; top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until golden brown. about 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
9,803 total views, 14 views today