The inspiration to make this bowl of love came from these five beautiful words… Cajun Salmon & Sweet Potato Chowder. That was enough for me to go buy a beautiful piece of salmon and get to work.
Even though this dish is labeled a ‘Chowder’…this soup is quite light. The little bit of heat from the Cajun seasoning is balanced beautifully by the sweet potatoes and carrots. This recipe made four hearty servings and the leftovers reheated nicely. Serve with a green salad and a hunk of crusty bread and you’ve got a wonderful dinner, for any season of the year.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning (preferably salt-free)
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about ¾ lb.) cubed
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 lb. salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ¾ cup fat free half-and-half
- ⅓ cup fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add Cajun seasoning, sweet potatoes, and broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes. Add salmon and corn and simmer until salmon is just opaque in center, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in half-and-half, basil and season with salt. Cook, stirring gently, until heated through.
12,873 total views, 7 views today