Shrimp & Summer Vegetable Farro Salad.
Farro. Do you know it? I just discovered this beautiful grain and am a bit smitten. Besides it’s slightly nutty flavor and wonderful texture which I adored, it’s also high in fiber and packed with vitamins and magnesium (which has health benefits of it’s own, especially for women). Now combine Farro with fresh summer veggies and protein packed shrimp and you’ve got a power meal that will keep you satisfied.
Did I mention how versatile Farro is? You can use it in place of rice and pasta, served warm or cold. It’s flavorful on it’s own (unlike Quinoa, which to me needs a little flavor love). I brought this Shrimp & Summer Vegetable Farro Salad to the office for lunch today to share with my ‘healthy meals buddy.’ Sheeee loved it! Look for it in your grocery store in the rice, quinoa, orzo, couscous isle (one of my favorite isles).
- ¾ cup uncooked pearled farro
- ¾ tsp. salt, divided
- 2 cups water
- ½ lb. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup diced zucchini
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
- freshly cracked pepper
- Combine farro, ¼ tsp. salt and water in a medium sauce pan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until farro is tender, about 20-30 minutes. During the last 3 minutes, add shrimp and continue cooking until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine dressing ingredients: yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, ½ tsp. salt and pepper.
- Combine corn, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, and shallot with farro/shrimp and dressing. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
9,297 total views, 2 views today