We’ve been making a big pot of Farmers Market Minestrone Soup each week. It’s a wonderful way to enjoy fresh produce and gives us a healthy option for lunch or dinner throughout the week. Since we’ll be having soup for lunch today I decided to make these Savory Parmesan & Herb Walnut Biscotti to serve on the side.
Wow. I’ve made sweet biscotti many times before but this was my first attempt at savory. I’m an instant fan. The dough is made with flour, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped walnuts, baking soda, salt & cayenne pepper. I also added a couple tablespoons of fresh lemony thyme along with her sister sage. To the dry ingredients you add eggs, milk, and olive oil. This was a great chance for me to sneak in my favorite mushroom & sage olive oil for an added flavor dimension.
As with all biscotti, the dough is formed into logs for it’s first round of baking. Then the lightly browned logs are cooled before being sliced into their signature biscotti shape. The individual pieces are then baked in a cooler oven until they become nice and crispy.
These Savory Parmesan & Herb Walnut Biscotti will be perfect with our bowl of Farmers Market Minestrone Soup. And as I’ve found out, they make a lovely snack as well.
Critic’s review. “Texturally, they are spot on biscotti. Surprisingly there is absolutely no sweetness, which is a bit hard to overcome at first. Once you get over that, the flavor of Parmesan cheese comes through with hints of herbs in the background. (a long pause) I stinking love these. (shorter pause) Now, if you could figure out how to make them thin like a cracker we could have big fun.”
- 1 cup + 3 Tbl. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ finely chopped walnuts
- 10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh lemony thyme, leaves only chopped
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbl. 1% milk
- 1½ tsp. olive oil, I used mushroom & sage EVOO
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, Parmesan, walnuts, herbs, baking powder, salt, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Whisk together egg, egg yolk, milk, and oil in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients into dry and stir to combine. Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface; with floured hands knead dough until completely combined.
- Divide dough in half and form two 10-inch logs. Place logs on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until lightly browned on bottom, rotating pan from front to back halfway through cooking time. Let cool on baking sheet on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp. to 300 degrees.
- With serrated knife, cut each log into 12-15 slices about ½-inch thick. Place slices, cut side down on baking sheet, bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Turn slices over and bake another 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely.
21,578 total views, 8 views today