I’m writing this post while Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft is playing in the background (from a youtube link on the page of a friend) :) Maybe I’m longing for summer a lot earlier than usual or perhaps it’s that Mother Nature is teasing us. Freezing rain yesterday, 50’s today. It’s Saturday, the sun is shining, I’m having Tuna Cakes with Citrus Salad for lunch, and these words are speaking to me:
See the smile a-waitin’ in the kitchen
food cookin’ and the plates for two
Feel the arms that reach out to hold me
in the evening when the day is through.
makes me feel fine
blowing through the jasmine in my mind…
This Tuna Cakes with Summer Breeze Citrus Salad recipe was born out of the ingredients in our Fridge/Pantry. I’m beginning to think that’s my niche. I’m far more creative and pay closer attention to flavors & seasoning when I’m not working from a recipe. And when I get the chance to sleep in, or at least ‘lounge in’ for the first time in two weeks….I’m not going to the grocery store.
I started with a can of tuna, added fresh shredded and diced veggies, an egg, a little mayo, and panko breadcrumbs to bind. Seasoned and spiced the way we like it, with a handful of fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice for pop. Before making all the patties, I cooked up two bite-sized samplers so I could adjust the seasoning if necessary. Simply announcing Tuna Cakes for lunch wasn’t going to pique the interest of many. Mother Nature may have taught me a little something about the power of teasing :)
What started as a can of tuna evolved into these deliciously fresh Tuna Cakes, full of bright flavors. Served on a bed of baby greens with a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of sea salt & freshly cracked pepper, a squeeze of fresh citrus juice, and a dollop of sriracha mayo. Oh how I can taste you warm Summer Breeze.
- 12 oz. can Albacore Tuna
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 baby carrots, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 2 Tbl. red onion, fine diced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 Tbl. mayonnaise for sauce
- 1 Tbl. ketchup
- ½ tsp. sriracha sauce
- 2 cups baby greens
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 1-2 Tbl. fresh citrus juice (lemon, orange, and/or lime)
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Combine all tuna cake ingredients in medium bowl and blend together using a fork. Make a small test cake and pan fry on both sides over medium heat until golden brown. Taste, and adjust seasoning accordingly. Continue to make 6 larger equal size cakes. Pan fry on both sides over medium heat until golden brown.
- Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate any unused portion.
- Place a cup of baby greens on a plate, top with 3 tuna cakes. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt & freshly cracked pepper, squeeze on fresh citrus juice, and dollop with sriracha mayo.
20,142 total views, 1 views today