I decided to jump on the band wagon and give Sweet Potato Avocado Toast a try. Six times. I tried six variations just to be sure and each was as delicious as the one before it. I’m not sure if I’m more excited about having a gluten free option for Avocado Toast or all these yummy flavor pairings I came up with.
First things first. I’m loving roasted sweet potato as a bread alternative. I’m pretty certain I’ll be sandwiching a burger between a couple slices this weekend! I used my mandolin set to 1/4-inch thickness to slice an average sized sweet potato lengthwise. I then roasted the slices at 425 deg. F. on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 25 minutes, turning slices over a couple times. The result was golden browned, slightly crispy slabs of sweet potato. The perfect vehicle for all those incredible toppings.
One sweet potato yielded six slices and one large avocado yielded enough mashed avocado for all of them. I then pulled out all the half used containers of leftovers, fruits, spreads, sprinkles and other savory ingredients to come up with some really good toppings. My sister and I sat at the table sample each combination, all different but each with big flavors. It was pure joy for our tastebuds! Working clockwise we have:
Cooked sliced chicken, buffalo sauce, crumbled blue cheese
Bacon & Egg
Soft boiled egg, crispy bacon slice, chives, flaky sea salt & fresh cracked black pepper
Whipped cream cheese, everything bagel seasoning, sesame oil drizzle
Fresh salsa, black beans, fine diced jalapeño and red onion, crumbled Mexican cheese, cilantro & lime
Nuts & Berries with Honey Whipped Feta
Honey whipped feta, strawberries, cherries, blueberries, walnuts, honey drizzle
Cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, pine nuts, balsamic drizzle
Whether you choose one of my flavor pairings or come up with your own, Sweet Potato Avocado Toast needs to get on your brunch rotation!! And if you’d rather slather mashed avocado on a slice of crusty bread, go for it! We’ll likely have both options at our house too!
Sweet Potato Avocado Toast
- 1 medium to large sweet potato sliced 1/4-inch thick lengthwise
- 1-2 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil (optional)
- 1 large avocado or 2 small
- salt & pepper
- Toppings: Bacon & Egg; Southwest; Caprese; Buffalo Chicken, Everything Bagel, Nuts & Berries
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Slice sweet potato lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices using a mandolin or sharp knife. Place slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with avocado oil (optional). Bake 25 minutes, turning every 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado with a fork. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Spread a layer of mashed avocado on each toasted sweet potato slice. Then add favorite toppings. Enjoy!
494 total views, 18 views today