Does anyone else buy boxes of “Little Bites” muffins for their kids (big or small)?? I can’t believe I’m admitting it – not because I’m a packaged food snob, but because muffins are so darn easy to make at home! This recipe yields 4 dozen Double Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins!!Jump to Recipe
These bite sized homemade Double Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins are moist and cake-like, studded with chocolate chips throughout. They are a tasty grab-n-go snack, lunch box treat, or Sunday morning get ’em out of bed to start the day kind of breakfast.
We first made this recipe back during the summer of covid-cooking (2020). In May, after being in quarantine for tow months, we as a family decided to take on an ultimate cooking challenge. Every recipe cooked was an entry to win the grand prize. Little did we know that we would cook our way through an entire cookbook (132 recipes) in just 50 days. Each one of them documented on Instagram @lemonythyme.
This beloved cookbook titled “Eat What You Want” is by What’s Gaby Cooking. It’s hard to precisely put into words how profoundly this cooking expedition shaped our lives during these challenging and difficult times. Let’s just say we simultaneously strengthened our family bond and our love of food, shared the love with neighbors we hadn’t previously had the time to get to know (many special deliveries were left on doorsteps and passed over fences), challenged our cooking abilities, stayed mostly positive when a sea of negativity was brewing in the world around us, discovered a competitive over-achiever lay under the surface in each of us, and without a doubt ate the most delicious dishes all prepared in our own kitchen. And while we were not chosen as the grand-prize winner of her competition, in our book this family adventure was Winning!!!
You can find our amateur how-to cooking video saved under stories on Instagram. @lemonythyme “Kids Cooking”
Double Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vbegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk only
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheast oven to 375° F. Spray 4 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray (48 muffins total).
- In a bowl, whisk the flour with 1/4 cup cocoa powder. In a separate small bowl, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup cocoa powder with hot water until smooth.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and yolk, and vanilla on medium speed until combined. Add the cocoa powder/water mixture and beat until just combined. Now alternately add the flour mixture and sour cream in three additions. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir in 1 cup of each kinds of chocolate chips, reserving a 1/2 cup of the mini chips to sprinkle on top before baking.
- Bake in center of oven about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick instered in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Store in an air tight container or freeze in small batches.