Sausage & Potato Soup with Spinach & Bacon could be the cousin of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana. That however, was not at all my motivation for making this new recipe. Did I tell you the story of how we scored 30+ pounds of bacon and sausage?? Can you imagine the delight when this text message hit my phone.
We’re food bloggers. We never turn down free food. And we certainly don’t turn down bacon and sausage. The next day this cooler showed up outside my door. We shoved and crammed every last package into our freezer and one pound at a time we’ve been working through this gold mine.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb. Spinach, Fontina & Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage or favorite
- 4 medium new potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, fine diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 3 cups fresh spinach or kale
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot, cook bacon until crispy. Remove to drain and pour off drippings. Add sausage links with a ½-inch of water (Our sausage were precooked, adjust cooking time as needed); cook over medium heat until water evaporates and they are heated through. Slice and reserve.
- Add potatoes and onion to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add minced garlic, basil, oregano and chicken broth. Simmer until potatoes are just fork tender.
- Stir in sausage and cream, season with salt & pepper to taste and heat through. Serve topped with crispy bacon.
6,828 total views, 18 views today