This quick and easy Pasta Sauce comes together in under 30 minutes yet tastes like it’s been simmering all day. The key ingredient are the canned San Marzano tomatoes, not at all difficult to find but should not be replaced by regular diced tomatoes. San Marzano are whole plum tomatoes with very few seeds that are renowned for their balanced flavor – rich tomato taste that is slightly sweet and less acidic.
You can simply crush the tomatoes by hand for a ‘chunkier’ sauce or give them a whirl in the blender for a smoother sauce.
The Pasta Sauce begins with onion and garlic sautéed in extra virgin olive oil. The tomatoes are added along with dried spices (basil, oregano, parsley, and crushed red pepper flakes), then seasoned to taste with salt and black pepper.
- 1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Hand crush or blend tomatoes to desired consistency. Heat olive oil In a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent, add garlic and saute another minute. Pour in crushed/blended tomatoes, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
155 total views, 4 views today