Just think how far the dip world has come, evolved if you will. There was a time when French Onion Dip was the go-to staple for Game Day or family gatherings. A packet of onion soup mix, a tub of sour cream, and a big bag of ruffled potato chips and we were in dip heaven.
On one hand you could say not a lot has changed. I was just texting with a friend, who shared a picture of the smoked deviled eggs he just made for the big game. SMOKED DEVILED EGGS!!! Hello Mister! After I got done oogling the egg picture I asked what else he was serving. He shared it was the only day he was allowed to have chop dip. Chop Dip?!! I had to know….
Point being, with all the fancy dip recipes out there it’s hard to beat a good Chip Dip. This French Onion Dip takes a little longer than opening the pack of powdered onion soup mix but if you can make the caramelized onions in advance, you can complete this recipe in mere minutes.
Two thing you need to know about making caramelized onions is it takes a TON to yield a decent cooked portion and it takes patience. I have a post on this process here.
So while I have a soft spot for Hot Party Dips (and a rather nice collection) there’s something nostalgic about a good Chip Dip!
No matter what you’re drinking or your favorite dipping vessel, you’re going to want to make this French Onion Dip for your next Game Day or family gathering!
French Onion Dip
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 large sweet yellow onions small diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste
- fresh snipped chives for garnish
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced onions and saute for 15 minutes, stirring just a couple times. Then reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until onions become a beautiful deep brown color, about 25-30 more minutes.
- Remove onions from heat, add the vinegar and stir to combine. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then transfer onion mixture to a bowl. Add the honey, mustard, mayonnaise and sour cream. Stir to combine. Season with salt & freshly cracked pepper. Garnish with snipped fresh chives.
- Serve with favorite chips and veggie sticks.
662 total views, 2 views today