I have been so excited about making ‘waffles’ out of hash browns from the time I first spotted this on Pinterest. Today is the day we shall create a spin on the soul-food classic Chicken & Waffles. Presenting our Chicken & Waffle Fries with Honey Dijon Syrup.
Dust off the waffle iron and let’s get ready to do this!! Heat waffle iron to high. Working in batches, in a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of shredded potatoes with half an onion, shredded, and 1 fine diced jalapeno. Lay potato mixture in a non-terry cloth kitchen towel and ring to remove all excess moisture. Then add 2 Tbl. melted butter, salt & pepper and any other seasoning you like, and stir to combine. Brush waffle iron with canola oil before adding the potatoes. Mound potatoes, be sure top iron is brushed with oil, then close lid and leave for at least 5 minutes before checking. It will take about 15 minutes to get hash browns nice and brown and crispy. Repeat for additional Waffle Fries.
For the chicken, we cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips and soaked them in buttermilk for an hour before coating them in a seasoned panko bread crumb and corn flake crumb mixture. Then we pan fried them to a golden brown and served them atop our Waffle Fries with Honey Dijon Syrup.
We may never have hash browns any other way…..so crispy and well…so yum. The combination of the tender fried chicken on top of crispy hash brown potatoes drizzled in a slightly sweet honey Dijon syrup…crazy good!!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ corn flake crumbs
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup canola or peanut oil for frying
- 1 20 oz. pkg. shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 jalapenos, fine diced
- 4 Tbl. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ⅛ cup honey
- ⅛ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and soak in buttermilk for one hour in refrigerator.
- Heat oil in skillet to 375 degrees.
- Combine panko and corn flake crumbs, then dip chicken strips, coating completely.
- Fry 3 strips at a time, turning once, until done. Recommended internal temp. is 165 degrees, although we cook to less and let rest and rise to temp.
- Heat waffle iron to high and coat with canola oil.
- Working in batches, combine 2 cups of shredded potatoes, with ½ shredded onion, and 1 fine diced jalapeno pepper at a time. Lay on a non-terry kitchen towel, then roll and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Add melted butter and seasoning, then mound onto oiled waffle iron, spreading slightly. Cook on high until nicely browned, about 15 minutes. Wait at least 5 minutes before checking.
- Whisk all ingredients and pour over chicken and waffles.
38,585 total views, 2 views today