Today we are Sharing the Love at the office in honor of Customer Service Appreciation Week. Sharing the love for our amazing group generally involves food. Food makes us happy. Had a request for Chicken Tortilla Soup….a recipe we perfected a couple years ago. My oh my it’s good. Also sharing my Italian Wedding Soup because it’s one of my all time favorites. And enjoying delicious Chicken BBQ thanks to Bethany. Great day!!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is built upon a Roast Chicken and the amazing broth that follows. A base of a simple mirepoix of onion, carrot, celery combined with a few quick adds (Rotel, hominy, mild green chiles, and frozen corn). Season with some classic Mexican flavors like cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne. Serve with grated cheese, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, and tortilla strips.
On Monday we were treated to the most amazing pot of chili and homemade Tamales. Tamales have now been added to my list of things I must attempt to make from scratch. I’ll have to do a little Sabina sweet talking and see if I can sign up for one of her International cooking classes. Thanks to my Foodie Friend Jenn, I already have “from scratch Egg Rolls” on the calendar in November and Canning with Cindy next Summer. We shall call these cooking sessions our Share the Love Series :)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup carrot, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin (toasted ground cumin seeds are a great add)
- ½ tsp. ground oregano
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- dash cayenne
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbl. flour
- 4 cups good chicken stock
- 1 can Rotel w/liquid
- 1 can Hominy drained
- 1 sm. can mild green chiles diced
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken
- adjust spices to taste
- Serve with cheese, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips
- Saute onion, carrot, celery in heavy pot or dutch oven until tender.
- Then add garlic and spices and stir to combine.
- Dust vegetable mixture with flour and stir to coat, then add chicken stock, Rotel w/liquid, Hominy drained, mild green chiles, and frozen corn.
- Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken and heat through.
- Adjust spices to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips
26,028 total views, 2 views today