French Toast is one of my favorite breakfast foods. Start with slices of bread, any kind of bread….nutty, grainy, fruity, thick sliced, thin sliced, sweet or savory. In this instance we set up a White Bread with pine nuts in our bread machine the night before.
Dip the bread slices in beaten egg, that’s been seasoned or sweetened. Grill the slices in a little melted butter until browned nicely. Then top with…well in this case bananas that have been caramelized in butter and brown sugar. A little sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a drizzle of New Hampshire maple syrup. I think I may have to make Caramelized Banana Nut French Toast for breakfast or dinner real soon.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbl. milk
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 Tbl. butter
- 2 Tbl. brown sugar
- 2 Tbl. chopped walnuts
- maple syrup
- butter for frying
- Beat eggs with milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Dredge bread slices into egg mixture, turning until both sides of each slice are well coated.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat, add butter to coat pan.
- Pan fry bread slices turning when underneath side is nicely browned.
- Remove to warm plate until all slices have been cooked.
- Add butter & brown sugar to pan and stir until combined and bubbly.
- Add banana slices and gently turn to coat, continue cooking 2-3 minutes until bananas are well coated and warmed through.
- Plate 2 slices of french toast, with caramelized bananas, chopped walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
20,743 total views, 13 views today