Each winter I find myself gravitating towards healthier recipe options. Likely due to overeating during the holidays and less outdoor activity than during the warmer months. Nonetheless, here I am again digging through my recipe archives to find the best tasting lower calorie recipes to share with you. This lightened up Broccoli Cheese Casserole is light on calories but just as yummy as any full fat version I’ve had in the past.
It’s a super easy and figure friendly side for any weeknight family dinner or weekend dinner party.
- 2 lbs. (32 oz.) broccoli florets (either frozen that’s thawed or fresh that’s lightly steamed)
- 1 ½ Cups fat-free milk
- 2 ½ Tbl. Flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (I used combination of FF, reduced fat, and reg. cheddar & mozzarella)
- 5 wedges Laughing Cow Light Garlic Herb
- ½ Cup Light or FF Mayo
- ¾ Cup chopped onion
- ¾ Cup panko crumbs
- 2 Tbl Butter melted (I used 1 butter & 1 light butter spread)
- Preheat oven to 375 deg.
- Arrange broccoli in even layer in 11 x 7 baking dish coated with cooking spray: set aside.
- Combine milk, flour, salt and pepper in large saucepan over med-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add Laughing Cow & shredded cheese, stir until smooth. Stir in mayo & onion. Spoon evenly over broccoli.
- Toss panko with melted butter and sprinkle over broccoli cheese. Dust with paprika. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes until lightly browned and begins to bubble. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
103,717 total views, 17 views today