I’m always, always on the lookout for the next best grilled cheese sandwich. I seek inspiration at every turn. Every turn down the grocery store isle. Every turn through food magazine features. And every page turn of my current favorite cook book.
And there she was. Right in front of me for nearly a month before she jumped out and bit me. That gorgeous Emmentaler on Rye sandwich inspired our Blueberry Balsamic Red Onion & Gruyere Grilled Cheese.
Let’s begin with the Blueberry Balsamic Red Onions. My word they were special.
Have you discovered a premium olive oil & vinegars store in your area? These specialty shops are popping up across the country and we the consumers are the true winners. I’ve become a regular customer of Gabby’s Olive Branch. When you enter the store you are greeted by true oil & vinegar experts. Not only well versed in the health benefits, but masters at flavor pairing. I never would have put Blueberry Balsamic with Tuscan Herb Olive Oil, but man what a combination. Strawberry Balsamic with Organic Basil Oil is another favorite. The duos are endless and the ‘Tasting Bar’ is well stocked. So is my pantry with no less than a dozen flavor fused oils and vinegars.
The onions are sautéed until tender then kicked up with brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. I chose blueberry balsamic, any flavor or plain balsamic would be just fine.
I used Emmentaler and gruyere cheese because they were both already open in the fridge, leftover from our Tomato & Cheese Fondue. If you make this sandwich, you’ll also have them leftover. Then you can make the fondue, which is delicious with this nice grainy bread dunked in it.
This Blueberry Balsamic Red Onion & Gruyere Grilled Cheese Sandwich delivered a little sweet & sour flavor punch from the onions, which was balanced nicely with the creamy cheese and buttery bread. Absolutely delicious.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbl. butter
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 Tbl. brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbl. blueberry balsamic vinegar or favorite
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Emmentaler cheese, shredded
- 4 slices grainy bread
- butter for pan grilling
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add brown sugar and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook an additional 2 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat heavy skillet over medium heat. Butter one side of each piece of bread. Place two slices butter side down in skillet. Top with generous amount of onions and half of the shredded cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, butter side up. Use a bacon press or other weight and grill sandwiches until golden brown on both sides.
4,469 total views, 2 views today