Aaah the aromas….they’re dancing through my kitchen. As soon as I lifted the lid a smile came across my face. The sight was beautiful, like an apple pie fresh from the oven beautiful.
And the aromas…cinnamon & clove, toasted cashews & mustard seeds…aaah (the angels in heaven moment). Looks beautiful, smells awe-mazing, but the taste makes it a ‘winning’ dish. Thank you Food & Wine for this lovely Spiced Cashew Rice recipe. Perfect with our Shark Kebobs with Orange-Avocado Salsa. I will look for excuses to make this dish again.
- 1½ cups basmati or other long-grain rice
- 2¼ cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbl. butter
- 4 Tbl. canola oil
- 2 tsp. black or yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup chopped, roasted, cashews
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in a medium saucepan with the water, cinnamon sticks, cloves, bay leaves, turmeric, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit, without removing the lid, for 10 minutes.
- In a small frying pan, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds.
- Add the cashews; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds longer.
- Gently stir the cashew mixture into the rice with a fork.
14,472 total views, 1 views today