Chicken Wing shortage? Now that would be a ‘fowl play’ just two days before Game Time. It is estimated that American’s will eat 1.23 billion chicken wings this Super Bowl weekend or an average of 4 wings per person. There’s no question we LOVE our Super Bowl food, so much so that it has become the 2nd largest eating holiday, after Thanksgiving. While I think the chicken wing shortage story has been refuted by the National Chicken Council, let me offer up a Chicken Wing alternative just in case. Baked Buffalo Chicken Meatballs.
We combined ground chicken with spicy turkey sausage, fresh herbs, and aromatics. Rolled the mixture into meatballs and baked them until done. Tossed them in our favorite wing sauce (Franks Hot Sauce & butter). Sprinkled on some crumbled blue cheese, served with a side of celery and carrots with ranch dressing. I’m quite happy with these Baked Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. And looking around, I’m not seeing any leftovers either.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage
- ½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro (or both)
- ¼ cup red onion, fine diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 Tbl. butter
- ½ cup Franks Hot Sauce (or your favorite)
- 2 Tbl. blue cheese crumbles
- handful of celery & carrot sticks
- ranch dressing, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine chicken, sausage, fresh herbs, onion, garlic, salt & pepper. Form into meatballs, ours made 25.
- Arrange meatballs on baking sheet so they are just barely touching each other. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until meat thermometer registers 165 degrees.
- In the meantime, melt butter in a small pan then add in hot sauce and whisk to combine. Toss cooked meatballs in hot sauce.
- Serve in a bowl, sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and a side of carrots & celery with ranch dressing.
7,711 total views, 2 views today