Most days, whether at home or the office I’ll have an Egg White Omelet Bowl for breakfast. A bed of spinach (getting my calcium anywhere I can), a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of fresh herbs and scallions, and an egg white omelet packed with herbs. Today, my herb of choice was Thai Basil which is thriving in our Aero Garden presently. This Thai Basil Egg White Omelet Bowl fits in so nicely with my Healthy Choices plan.
You’ll notice top left is a quart of All Whites. Liquid egg whites are so versatile and a staple in our house. You’ll notice middle left is my trusty microwave egg poacher. If you don’t own one, they are available at Walmart in the kitchen gadget for cheap. They will change your egg white omelet life, especially at work.
Simply pour in the liquid egg whites. Sprinkle in your favorite herbs or aromatics. Sometimes I make a western omelet with tomatoes & jalapeno, sometimes it’s all herbs, or like today I added shredded carrot, scallions and red chilis to my herbs.
Pop it in the microwave for 1 – 1 1/2 minutes (depending on volume) and voila. Perfectly cooked eggs whites bursting with flavor.
I like to cover mine with cheese. I used a slice of baby Swiss. A little extra protein AND it is an omelet after all, cheese is a must. Just top hot omelet with cheese and close the lid for a minute for melty goodness.
I built a salad of spinach, shredded blanched carrots, sliced scallion, fresh Thai basil & cilantro leaves, sliced red chilis, a simple drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of salt & pepper. I happen to have a collection of flavored olive oils which allows me to further add flavor. The beauty of ‘Bowl’ meals is they are prepared according to ingredients already on hand, with endless possibilities.
Thai Basil Egg White Omelet Bowl
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites or two egg whites
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs chopped (I used Thai basil & cilantro)
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots blanched
- 1 red chili pepper thinly sliced
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pour egg whites into microwave egg poacher (or for stove-top, use non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray).
- Sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons of the chopped herbs and scallion. Add a few shredded carrots and chili slices. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on high. Remove and add slice of cheese. Close lid and let rest for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile prepare a salad of spinach leaves, fresh Thai basil & cilantro leaves, remaining chopped herbs, shredded carrots, sliced chili. Drizzle with olive oil and salt & pepper. Top with egg white omelet.
5,138 total views, 8 views today