I struggled with what to call these heavenly bars. I kicked around a few ideas. Pretzel Toffee Bars. Chocolate Coconut Layered Love Bars. Magic Bars. Seven Layer Bars. Toothachers Met Their Match Bars. Truth be told…they are a casserole with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. A dessert casserole. I’m not sure anyone would click on a recipe called dessert casserole.
As I typed that, Decadent Dessert Casserole popped into my head, which actually might be good.
Blogger note: You really must be careful when typing straight from the thought train. Because while Decadent Dessert Casserole popped into my head, I typed Decadent Dessert Casserole pooped into my head. And That’s NOT AT ALL what I was thinking. Phew, thank goodness for proof-reading.
I’m beginning to question my every word. Do you read Phew as in relief…boy that was a close one OR as an expression of disgust? PU. I’m not making this recipe any better am I??
Clear your minds. Let’s try this again. I still had leftover baking supplies from Christmas that needed to be used. I also had an opportunity to make someone’s day. We were smack in the middle of team-building exercises leading up to our annual company meeting. We were revisiting the Fish Philosophy! ten years after we first introduced it to our team. I was on Team “Be There” and one of our own was celebrating a birthday. OOooo. Me me. Let me bake something!!
So I baked a batch of Seven Layer Magic Bars. Except I replaced the first layer with the base to our most treasured family recipe…Toothacher Bars. Which added confusion to the title. I’m not really sure how many layers these bars technically have. I think I’m having a cooking fail right now.
Wait! What am I saying? These were the bomb. No one that I served them to cared one iota what they were called. Is anyone else surprised that my spellchecker didn’t scream red when I typed iota. I’ve never used that word in print.
Point being, that when you layer things like pretzels, caramel, chocolate chips, coconut, pecans and drizzle them with sweetened condensed milk, you are going to make people very happy. I’m convinced now that I should have simply called this reipce…Make Their Day Magic Bars.
Seven Layer Magic Bars aka Make Their Day Magic Bars
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 6 Tbl. butter melted
- 25 caramels unwrapped
- 1 Tbl. milk
- 3 cups Snyder’s Buttersnaps broken slightly
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In microwave safe bowl, combine caramels with milk and microwave on high until completely melted, stirring at 30 second intervals, about 2 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter, and baking soda. Mixture will be thick and stiff.
- Press mixture into bottom of parchment lined 9×13 pan. Pour melted caramel over top and spread evenly. Sprinkle on pretzel pieces, chocolate chips, coconut, and chopped pecans.
- Pour can of sweetened condensed milk evenly over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
4,319 total views, 1 views today