For the past couple of years I’ve been making Bread Pudding during the holidays, sweet bread pudding that is. Bread pudding is such a wonderful palate for flavor, pumpkin with butterscotch or cinnamon & brown sugar with pecans, or maple syrup with walnuts…the combinations are endless. It wasn’t until this summer, when our herb gardens were overflowing with love, that it hit me……Savory Bread Pudding.
I’ve been dreaming of this recipe, envisioning the right combination of herbs and aromatics, the kind of bread I would use, should I add cheese. Laying in bed this morning, well before the crack of dawn, it hit me…..Sage Brown Butter. I am in love with Sage Brown Butter.
In preparation for Thanksgiving, the ingredients were in place….calling me. Loaves of beautiful grainy bakery breads & fresh sage (intended for stuffing), butternut squash & sweet onions, milk & eggs…I literally bound out of bed and declared, it shall be Savory Bread Pudding with Roasted Butternut Squash, Onion & Sage. It was the perfect addition to a wonderful impromptu brunch at the office this morning. May the holidays begin. Happy Thanksgiving to All.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½" cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, thin sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 6 Tbl. butter
- 10-12 fresh sage leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or Gruyere cheese (or both)
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 8 cups (1-inch) cubed day-old crusty bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line shallow baking pan with foil, spray with cooking spray.
- Toss butternut squash, onion, garlic, thyme, salt & pepper in olive oil and spread in single layer on baking sheet. Roast for 20 - 25 minutes until very tender.
- Spread bread cubes onto a baking sheet and toast along with squash mixture for 8-10 minutes until cubes are firm and crunchy.
- Melt butter in a skillet over med-low heat, add in fresh sage leaves and cook stirring occasionally until butter turns a golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, shredded cheese, pepper and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl toss sage brown butter, milk/egg mixture, and roasted veggies with bread cubes.
- Pour into a buttered 2 Qt. baking dish and let set for 15 minutes. Then bake 40 - 45 minutes until pudding is set and top is lightly browned. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
25,745 total views, 5 views today