I have a well known weakness for Peppermint Bark. Completely…I do. It’s pure magic to me. I’ve stalked many a Williams-Sonoma store on free sample days. I’m the one trying to look uninterested as I saunter by the counter….multiple times. Hmm, what’s this? Peppermint Bark. Okay, if you insist. Don’t mind if I do. This one is for my daughter. Okay I’m leaving now.
When Hershey’s came out with their Candy Cane Kisses they brought the essence of peppermint bark to our grocery store shelves. I embraced that. Santa Kisses Cookies in the spirit of Peppermint Bark magic.
Recipe adapted from memory of a magazine in my grocery store that I was reading while waiting on a prescription to be filled. I’ve tried to find it online but can’t. Full credit to them. Update: went back to said grocery store to find the source. America’s Test Kitchen Top Cookies magazine.
Santa Kisses Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbl. unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 24 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place oven racks to upper middle and lower middle. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bow. Place butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat at 50% power for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until melted. Let cool slightly. Add sugar, egg, egg white, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Fold in dry ingredients in 3-4 additions, mixing until just combined after each addition. Once blended allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Scoop dough by 1 tablespoons and roll into balls. Place 2-inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes until puffed. Remove trays from oven and carefully place Hershey’s Kiss on top of each cookie. Return to oven and bake an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
6,377 total views, 1 views today