Yesterday we, like many other bloggers, observed a moment of silence from what we love to do…..which is talk about food (or crafts, or sewing, or our other various passions). After a weekend of media overload about an unimaginable tragedy, a little less was much more. So while we stepped away from our computers to quietly talk about the how could’s and the why’s, we made a simple comfort food dinner. Roasted Tomato Soup with White Cheddar Cheese Cookies.
I’m not sure if one can over use the word comfort. I hope not. I was longing for comfort food, yet I was also seeking an emotional outlet which is exactly what cooking is for me. I found this wonderful recipe from one of my favorite sites Smitten Kitchen for Roasted Tomato Soup. While they’ve created what might be the best combination of tomato soup and grilled cheese EVER….my mind was made up to serve our soup with Cheese Cookies which I sampled from the break room table earlier that morning. Did I say sampled? What exactly qualifies as a sample vs. a serving? Just curious.
Plum tomatoes sliced in half and drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with s&p, roasted in a hot oven for a good hour…with garlic. A separate tray of onion and carrots roasting for a nice flavor balance. The aromas were swirling. We pureed the veggies in the blender then combined in a sauce pan with a couple of cups of chicken stock, fresh thyme, and red pepper flakes. A quick boil and we were ready to serve our Roasted Tomato Soup…along with these amazing White Cheddar Cheese Cookies. Comfort.
- 1½ lbs. plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3-4 small cloves garlic
- ½ onion, diced
- 4-6 baby carrots
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- salt & freshly cracked pepper
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme or ¼ tsp. dried
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- shaved Parmesan cheese and chives for finish
- White Cheddar Cheese Cookies, prepared according to recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Arrange tomatoes cut side up on pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Place garlic cloves in a small foil pack, with a little olive oil and place on tray with tomatoes.
- On separate baking sheet lined with foil coated in cooking spray, arrange single layer of onion and carrots. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle wth salt & pepper.
- Roast onion and carrots about 30-45 minutes until tender. Roast tomatoes and garlic foil pack for 1 hour, until tomatoes are brown and tender.
- Pour veggies into blender and puree to desired thickness. Add some chicken stock if needed, then pour puree mixture into sauce pan, adding remaining chicken stock, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and season with salt & freshly cracked pepper.
- Serve topped with shaved Parmesan cheese and chives and White Cheddar Cheese Cookies.
2,856 total views, 7 views today