Provençal Chicken is a wonderful weeknight meal. It’s light and full of flavor. Did I mention all you do is add the ingredients into your slow cooker, set it on low and go out the door and start your day. When you and your family arrive home 8 hours later….well let’s just say you’ll move up a notch on your way to rock star status.
Provençal Chicken is meant to be a rustic dish. We used boneless skinless chicken breasts but you could use bone-in chicken, just be sure to remove the skin if you’re going to use our slow cooker method. Having said that, if you prefer you can prepare this dish in a Dutch oven. Brown off your chicken pieces before adding the other ingredients then slow braise until the chicken is super tender.
I love the comfort that comes from the slow cooked chicken, tomatoes and beans. But the Kalamata olives, lemon zest and fresh basil are what make this dish extra special. All of these are added according to taste, as is salt & pepper. I purposely make this dish without adding salt. Any time I’m using canned tomatoes or beans, even if they’re ‘No Salt Added’ I like to wait to salt. Just me.
This dish is great for our family who is making some healthy living choices and is also a nice option for my friends facing similar challenges (Gluten Free in particular). I see Provençal Chicken making a regular appearance in our kitchen and will look forward to it.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 oz. each)
- 1 medium onion, cut into small wedges
- 2 Tbl. fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried)
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ⅓ cup dry white wine, optional
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can white bean, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives, or to taste
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbl. fresh basil, minced
- Put chicken breasts and next six ingredients (through white beans) into slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Before serving add Kalamata olives or serve on the side. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of lemon zest and minced basil. A side of crusty bread goes nicely too.
12,249 total views, 1 views today