Maple Horseradish Glazed Salmon.
Discovering the incredible flavor pairing of maple and horseradish changed my culinary world….or has at least inspired several really delicious dishes. We have used this Maple Horseradish Glaze recipe on roasted beets, baby carrots, salmon suckers, and now glazed salmon fillets. Frankly, it’s so scrumptious I would even enjoy it over vanilla ice cream.
It all begins with really good Maple Syrup. This year at Christmastime I ordered two beautiful jugs of New Hampshire Pure Maple Syrup, one for Shelby and one for ourselves. When you grow up on the ‘real’ stuff, pancake syrup just doesn’t compare.
It’s sugaring season in the Northeast, which typically lasts 4-6 weeks. The trees are tapped, the sap is running, and sugar houses are firing up their evaporators. Here’s an interesting tidbit: each tree that is tapped will yield about 10 gallons of sap and it will take 30 – 40 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of maple syrup. Maple sugar production dates back over 300 years beginning with Native Americans. Here’s a great article on The Maple Syrup Process of modern day.
For the Maple Horseradish Glazed Salmon, we first prepared the glaze and allowed it to cool. We then marinated the salmon in the glaze for about an hour at room temperature before baking it. Just as Bourbon Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon is so popular, the maple horseradish flavors were a perfect match with lovely salmon.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 3 Tbl. prepared horseradish
- 3 Tbl. maple syrup
- 3 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1¼ lbs. salmon fillet(s)
- Melt butter with horseradish, syrup, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and allow to reduce by a third. Cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place salmon fillets in a baking dish. Pour glaze over salmon fillet(s) and allow to marinate one hour at room temperature.
- Bake for 17 - 20 minutes, or to desired degree of doneness.
- Serve over couscous or rice.
10,485 total views, 12 views today