Kale with Sausage, White Beans & Butternut Squash
By now, most everyone is aware that kale comes packed with a bushel of health benefits, even if you’re not quite sure what they are specifically. This would be the time to share that I wanted to be sure I knew before moving on. So I googled ‘health ben’ and before completing the word ‘benefits’…never mind adding the word ‘kale’…I had 2,150,000 results for Health Benefits of Kale. Here’s a link to a quick Top 10 List that is well worth reading. I had no idea.
It was high time for me to embark on a recipe where Kale was the #1 ingredient. I’m really glad I did. This Kale with Sausage, White Beans & Butternut Squash soup/stew was delicious and hearty and not one bit ‘earthy’ as I had expected.
After reading the Top 10 Health Benefits of Kale, I can assure you kale will find her way into more and more of our dishes. This Kale with Sausage, White Beans & Butternut Squash dish came together easily and was ready in 30 minutes. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner and was wonderful to have leftover for lunch the next day.
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 3 Jennie-O Italian Turkey Sausage links, removed from casings
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. kale leaves (bagged type or small bunch, thick ribs removed)
- 1 15-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat and add the bulk sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add onion and continue cooking until onion begins to soften, 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic cook for an additional minute.
- Add the diced butternut squash, sweet potato, and chicken broth and simmer covered for about 10 minutes until the squash is just tender.
- Add in kale and sprinkle with salt, simmer covered another 3-4 minutes. Stir to combine everything then add in the beans, cover and reduce heat to low, cooking another 5 minutes. Turn off heat, let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with freshly cracked pepper and shaved Parmesan cheese.
12,082 total views, 3 views today