Homemade Croutons are just minutes away if you have bread in the house. Any kind of bread works. But. Using roasted garlic crusty bakery bread, sliced thick…will make them stand out in a crowd. Go ahead, show off.
We most often will cut the thick slices into cubes, toss them in seasoned butter or olive oil, then bake them. However, if you’ve got the grill fired up for nice thick steaks or juicy chicken breasts, why not grill your bread for croutons too. No one needs a hot oven running during grilling season.
- 4 slices crusty bread 1-inch thick
- 3 Tbl. melted butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb Seasoning
- or your favorite blend
- pinch of salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
For full size croutons, cooked on the grill…
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Slice bread into 1-inch thick slices. Combine melted butter with seasoning. Brush bread slices with seasoned butter. Grill bread slices for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove from grill and cool slightly.
For cubed croutons, baked in the oven…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil.
- Slice bread into 1-inch thick slices, then further cut into 1″ cubes: set aside. Combine melted butter with seasoning. Toss bread cubes with seasoned butter. Spread cubes in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; turning and cooking an additional 5-7 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool slightly.