This salad. This Fattoush Salad is flavor love.
I was working hard to use ingredients already on hand. I may be a bit out of control. Pantry and freezer doors are…busting. So I went on offense and typed pita, lettuce, mint, tomato into my search engine field.
Kabam!!! Pow!! Fattoush!
When my search engine returned images of Fattoush…it was love at first site. Trust me. This salad is so deliciously flavor packed. I made a pomegranate sumac vinaigrette using pomegranate juice, lemon juice, ground sumac berries, and olive oil. If you’re not familiar with sumac, it’s a dried berry that’s ground and used in many Middle Eastern dishes. I was first introduced to it at Rumi’s Persian Kitchen, where we sprinkled it over our dishes. It is also available from the great people at Penzey’s Spices.
Fattoush is a Lebanese twist on the Tuscan Panzanella Bread Salad, using toasted pita bread. This salad makes a wonderful easy lunch or add grilled shrimp or chicken for a lovely dinner salad that your family and guests will be smitten with.
Not only is Fattoush full of fresh bright flavors but it fits so nicely with our Healthy Choices plan.
- 2 Tbl. lemon juice
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. sumac
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 cups lettuce leaves, torn
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 salad cucumber, sliced
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, fine diced
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ tsp. sumac
- 1 pita bread, cut into bite-sized pieces and lightly toasted
- Combine ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
- Divide lettuce between two plates. Add sliced avocado.
- In a medium bowl combine cucumber, tomatoes, scallion, red onion, mint leaves, and pomegranate arils. Toss with a couple tablespoons of vinaigrette, adding more to taste. Spoon mixture onto bed of lettuce. Sprinkle with toasted pita and sumac.
3,857 total views, 1 views today