When I made the decision to dedicate Winter Thyme to Spice Exploration I began by playing with my spices….literally. I transformed them into a Winter Thyme ‘Wind.’ Touching each one, taking in their individual aromas, admiring their earth tone colors, and seeing how beautiful they looked together. As I stated in my Winter Thyme post, my goal for this season is to explore spices and share what I learn through new recipes. Where they’ve taken me thus far is on an International journey. So while my intention is to become familiar with spices, I’m kind of digging the new recipes and flavors along the way. That’s my not so smooth segue into last night’s dinner and this post for Crispy Orange Beef & Broccoli.
While perusing my favorite sites for a recipe to incorporate the broccoli that was ‘on sale’ in our fridge aka must be eaten today, I found this recipe on From Away. Their description was captivating and all but the steak was already in our fridge/pantry. Bingo, we shall have Crispy Orange Beef & Broccoli.
Crispy Orange Beef & Broccoli
- 1 8 oz. Ribeye steak cut into thin strips
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 Tbl. fresh ginger grated
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4-6 dried chiles
- Jasmine rice
- Broccoli florets steamed
- Combine sugar, vinegar, orange juice, salt, and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Toss thinly sliced beef in cornstarch coating evening.
- Heat 2 Tbl. of canola oil in wok and fry beef pieces until browned, working in small batches. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add orange zest, ginger, garlic, and chiles back into the pan and stir for a minute until fragrant, then add in the vinegar/soy mixture and bring to a boil. Stir until sauce thickens slightly then add in the beef pieces and toss to coat.
- Serve over Jasmine rice with steamed broccoli.
Here are some shots of Winter Thyme ‘Wind’ in the making and breaking down.