We were completely spoiled last night with the gift of 7lbs. of fresh off the boat Georgia Shrimp for our birthdays. Two pounds cooked, peeled and ready for Shrimp Cocktail and 5 lbs. to go into the freezer for future Shrimp fests.
This tray of shrimp is one glorious site to behold. The recipe possibilities are immense. Best stated in the movie Forrest Gump. “Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbeque it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There’s…shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There’s pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich…”
We’ve got 5 pounds worth of inspiration in the freezer. And two pounds worth of Classic Shrimp Cocktail in our bellies. This is a happy place.
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 Tbl. prepared horseradish, or to taste
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 lb. large fresh shrimp in shells
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- Combine all ingredients and chill.
- Combine 2 quarts of water with Old Bay seasoning and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add shrimp. Allow to cook for about 2 - 3 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink. Drain and cool to room temperature. Peel, leaving tail in tact. Remove vein along curve of shrimp.
- Place shrimp around edge of glass bowl filled with ice. Serve with cocktail sauce.
6,466 total views, 5 views today