This recipe follows the Classic Chicken Marsala basics but we gave the dish a flavor jumpstart by browning the chicken in sage brown butter.
We served ours over a bed of cauliflower rice. Place chicken breasts over rice, then spoon on mushroom wine sauce. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. The sweet smooth buttery goodness that is this amazing sauce makes me happy.
As I mentioned in a previous post, weekly “whole” chicken dinners leave us with goodies to make beautiful chicken stock that we use in recipes throughout the week. We’ve tried almost every chicken in a pot recipe we could find. We’d love for you to share how you cook your whole chicken.
Classic Chicken Marsala
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth simmer uncovered over med. heat until reduced by half
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves pounded to 1/2" thickness
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh lemony thyme finely chopped
- Sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 3 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley rough chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Simmer chicken broth uncovered over med. heat until reduced by half.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/2″ thickness and season both sides with salt & pepper.
- Lightly coat chicken with flour.
- Melt 2 Tbl. butter in heavy skillet.
- Add 8 fresh sage leaves and cook over med. heat until butter begins to brown slightly.
- Remove sage leaves and reserve for edible garnish
- Add 1 Tbl. of canola oil to remaining butter in heavy skillet and brown chicken on both sides.
- Then remove from pan and hold in warm oven while making sauce.
- Add shallot to pan and sauté until it begins to turn golden.
- Then add mushrooms, fresh sage, fresh lemony thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Marsala wine and deglaze pan incorporating all the brown bits.
- Then add chicken broth and cook 6-8 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add cream at end to finish.