Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich. We had to do it.
You know we’ve got basil growing faster than a speeding bullet. Add a ball of fresh mozzarella able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. And an Italian bread getting eaten faster than a locomotive…I must act quickly.
Add oven roasted vine-ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Oooh my my. Oh yes yes. Honey put on that paaarty dress.
Forgive me, this sandwich has got me feeling a bit Cheesy ;)
- 4 slices Italian bread
- 4-6 Compari or plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 very thin slices red onion
- 4 ounces fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 2 Tbl. butter
- a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line shallow baking sheet with foil coated with cooking spray.
- Spread tomato and onion slices in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper and roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile butter one side of each bread slice and set aside.
- Press roasted tomatoes with paper towels to absorb access moisture. Then layer onto bread slices. Top with mozzarella cheese slices, fresh basil, red onion, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Pan grill until golden brown on each side.
7,024 total views, 1 views today