I had such fun making our Low-Country Boil Skewers that I thought we’d try a new twist. Meet Cajun Jambalaya Skewers.
Since I’ve read that no two Jambalaya recipes are the same, I took some liberties with the ingredients. Don’t think authentic. Instead think fun and flavorful.
We have okra, dipped in corn meal and ‘scrambled’ in a little oil until golden brown and tender.
Baby new potatoes, boiled until fork tender, then split and pan seared to get a nice crispy edge.
Spicy smoked sausage, such as Andouille, is a must.
For fun we made hush puppies (cornmeal fritters) and added them to our skewers.
Then came the nice juicy shrimp, which took a quick swim in a little Old Bay seasoned water before joining the skewer team.
And lastly tender chicken pieces, that have hung out in Cajun marinade for a bit, then pan fried with the smoked sausage until cooked through.
We alternated the ingredients on bamboo skewers and served our Cajun Jambalaya Skewers with Buffalo Sauce. These were a super fun appetizer and who doesn’t love food on a stick (frees up your second hand for oh say something icy cold).
- For skewers...
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- ½ lb. large shrimp, peeled & deveined tails left on
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 smoked sausage, cut into 1½-inch slices
- 6 new potatoes, boiled
- 3 okra pods, sliced about ½-inch thick
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tbl. canola oil for frying
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbl. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 pkg Jiffy corn muffin mix (or 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, ½ cup self-rising flour, 1 Tbl. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. black pepper)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- dash Cajun seasoning
- Canola or peanut oil for frying
- hot sauce
- Combine marinade ingredients and add chicken cubes. Marinade for 20 - 30 minutes. Toss okra pieces in cornmeal crumbs.
- Add 2 Tbl. canola oil to a large skillet, sauté okra pieces over medium heat until browned and tender; remove to drain on paper towels.. Add sausage pieces to the skillet and sauté for 5 - 7 minutes, then remove to paper towels to rest. Add the chicken pieces into the same pan and sauté until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil new potatoes until fork tender. Remove from water. Add 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning to the water and bring to a boil. Add shrimp to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes or just until they turn pink. Drain and reserve.
- Combine the hush puppy ingredients. Heat enough canola oil to deep fry them.
8,414 total views, 1 views today