Bean With Bacon Soup. Reminds me of a joke….
My favorite comedian George Carlin once did a skit about running out of deodorant. As he said it can happen to all of us, even in the nicest homes. His advice…if you do run out of deodorant, go into the kitchen and put a bay leaf under each arm. It doesn’t stop you from perspiring, but you smell like soup! Keeps your friends on their toes. “Hey, who’s wearing Chicken Vegetable?” “Not me, I have Bean With Bacon.”
Recipe tip: We had a ham bone in the freezer that was ready for prime time. However, if you don’t, check with your local Honey Baked Ham store. They’ll often sell them fairly cheap ($5.00 range) and they still have a nice amount of meat on them. Or you can skip the ham bone completely, use a nice rich chicken stock, and add a little extra bacon.
Lemony Thyme Insider Tidbit: B and I eloped in Las Vegas. On the afternoon of our wedding we were sitting at a table in the piano lounge at Bally’s when we noticed a familiar face at the bar. It was George Carlin, ordering a glass of red wine to go. I couldn’t help myself as he approached. This is after all the man who taught me how to appreciate standup comedy (and swear). “I just have to tell you how much I love you.” That’s what I said. We exchanged pleasantries…who am I kidding I have no idea what he said until he ‘bid us adieu’ and said “I hope you have a very interesting dusk.” That’s the last thing he ever said to me.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, small cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ham bone
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 cup dried great northern beans, cooked or 1 15-ounce can drained and rinsed
- grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- optional bread bowls.
- In Dutch oven, cook bacon until browned and crispy. Remove to drain on paper towels. Add onion, carrots, celery and sweet potato and sauté until just tender. Add in garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Remove veggies from pan and reserve. Add broth, ham bone, and seasoning to pan; simmer for 1 hour, skimming fat periodically.
- Remove ham bone and cut off all meat. Add reserved veggies, bacon, cooked beans, and reserved ham pieces and simmer 10 minutes until heated through.
- Serve in bowl or bread bowls. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
2,803 total views, 2 views today