Apple Cranberry Crisp
Scrolling through my Lemony Thyme News Feed yesterday I discovered this recipe posted by Feastie (on behalf of Two Peas and Their Pod). My first thought was YES, I do have apples and cranberries in my fridge, purchased with good intentions, yet still patiently waiting for their time to shine. My second thought was THIS is exactly the recipe that my brand new adorable mini covered baking dishes are longing for. My third (and final thought) was….oh my, forget the first two thoughts…this Apple Cranberry Crisp sounds awe-mazing and I’m making it.
Apples, cranberries, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice tossed together in a bowl to get happy. Brown sugar, old fashioned oats, flour, cinnamon, all spice, honey and butter hand blended in a separate bowl to create a crumble topping.
Baked in buttered dishes until the cranberries burst with happiness and the buttery crumble topping sends an aromatic wave through the kitchen. Ice cream served on top of warm Apple Cranberry Crisp is most definitely a happy place.
Note: we are embarking on another eat out of the fridge/pantry adventure. Do not fear the holiday leftovers. At the time of this post, we’ve already enjoyed three (including this Apple Cranberry Crisp) delicious dishes made from leftovers or left over ingredients. Stay tuned for Beef Stroganoff and Ham Bone Soup coming your way.
Apple Cranberry Crisp
- 4 large Granny Smith apples – peeled cored, and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 3 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
For crisp topping…
- 1 1/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. all spice
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 by 8 baking dish or ramekins and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together apples, cranberries, sugar, zest, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, spices, brown sugar, and honey. Stir. Mix in butter with your hands, until crumbly.
- Place fruit mixture in prepared baking dish or ramekins. Sprinkle crisp topping over the fruit and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until apples are tender and crisp is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
I adore cranberry recipes. Definitely pinning this one!
This was such a nice and easy recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod. What I didn’t expect was that the cranberries burst during cooking :) Line a baking sheet. Just saying.
This was so good…quite tart from the cranberries but I love that. Hope you enjoy. And it’s super easy to make with minimal ingredients. Whipped it up after work one night.
The crisp looks beautiful in your new baking dishes! I’m so glad you enjoyed it – we have enough leftover from Christmas to have dessert for one more night. But I’ll probably have to make another one anyway. ;)
Yes, my new dishes were perfect. Love them. I took them to work (filled with crisp) and there are no leftovers! Excited to try more Feastie posted recipes.