A French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwich didn’t seem quite as crazy as my Spaghetti & Meatball Grilled Cheese Sandwich last week. Boy did I catch some flack for that one from the healthy-eating police.
So let me get this out of the way right up front…I do not encourage my readers to eat French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for every meal. Just when you have a craving for caramelized onions, smothered with melty Gruyere cheese, sandwiched between a fresh bakery onion roll, and grilled into goodness. And only then.
- 1 cup caramelized onions (see recipe link in post)
- 4 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 fresh bakery onion rolls
- 2 Tbl. butter, softened
- beef broth for dipping
- Prepare caramelized onions according to recipe link. Slice onion rolls and butter outsides of each. Heat skillet over medium heat. Place bottom half of each roll into skillet. Pile half of onions on each, topped with half of the cheese. Replace top halves of buns.
- Grill until bottoms are golden brown. Carefully turn over each sandwich and cook until tops are golden.
- Serve with warm beef broth for dipping.
18,514 total views, 2 views today