I’ve been racking my brain this week trying to envision some Outrageous Fair Food Creation that hasn’t been done. The beauty of the Internet is with the click of a button you can indeed confirm that most everything you can imagine has already been deep fried and served on a stick. But I think I may have an original, inspired by my favorite childhood treat…a Dusty Miller Sundae…vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, generous sprinkling of malted milk powder, topped with whipped cream. A ‘treat’ would imply it didn’t happen often, however I was fortunate in that I grew up just across the cornfield from Silver Ranch, home of the Dusty Miller and so much more.
Silver Ranch was a ginormous complex (granted everything seems much bigger when you’re smaller) but it was big. There was of course The Ice Cream Stand featuring dozens of flavors of homemade ice cream with all the usual toppings. The Candy Shop with glass cases full of homemade confections and the quaint Gift Shop. The Restaurant which served up tourist and local favorites, like lobster rolls and fried clam dinners. The Airpark where dad would take us up in his Cessna for a late afternoon aerial tour of the Monadnock Region. And last but not least, The Stables.
The place, beginning at age 10, I spent every waking moment from June to September. I was a ‘barn rat’ which meant if I worked all day cleaning stalls, brushing horses, shaking hay….when 6:00 came we could ride. And ride we did…wide open through the fields and trails, bareback swimming through the deep pond, and jumping in the ring. No matter how hard I worked…..the reward was all mine. Did I mention besides riding we were also allowed to eat at ‘the Ranch’ which I’m certain led to my Dusty Miller addiction.
So in Fabulous Fair Food fashion….I present the Inside Out Dusty Miller Sundae (deep fried on a stick). Chocolate Truffle center, rolled in malted milk powder, encased in vanilla ice cream, dipped in egg then crispy coating, repeat, then quickly deep fried, served with a side of whipped cream.
- 6 Chocolate Truffles (see Ghirardelli Chocolate Truffles recipe)
- ¼ cup malted milk powder
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups frosted flakes cereal, crushed
- 2 Tbl. malted milk powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- Canola oil for frying Whipped cream for serving
- Prepare Chocolate Truffles according to recipe.
- Roll truffles in malted milk powder, creating a thick coating.
- Freeze truffles for 20 minutes.
- Scoop 6 balls of ice cream, working quickly press frozen truffle into middle of each ice cream ball, then return to freezer. Repeat until all balls have been formed. Leave in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Combine crushed cereal with 2 Tbl. malted milk powder.
- Remove ice cream balls from freezer one at a time. Dip in egg then roll in ½ of the cereal mixture. Repeat until all balls have been coated. Return to freezer until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Then again coat balls in egg then cereal mixture and return to freezer for minimum of 1 hour before deep frying.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- When oil is ready, place frozen ice cream ball on wire spoon and gently lower into oil. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Insert skewer and serve with side of whipped cream.
7,781 total views, 1 views today