It was time for another Adventure in Chocolate. I started something kind of fun. Every other week or so I will choose one of my work-mates to select a recipe, that I then recreate, picture, post about, and deliver to them to Share the Love. This time up I chose Allan and he chose Chocolate Rum Balls.
I chose Allan, because a couple of weeks ago when I started this new ritual and was in need of recipe inspiration, I turned to the only person I know that might have a greater chocolate addiction than I do. I said, “Wendy, I need you to deliver me a recipe for something decadent and chocolate. I’ll make it, pictured it, post about it, then deliver it to you to devour.” You may remember our fabulous Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache. We have Wendy to thank for that lovely recipe.
Well it seems in all of her excitement, while Wendy did share the love with some in the office….she never made it around to Allan before whisking off with the remaining half a cheesecake and heading for home. It was only fair to offer him a means of retaliation, in the nicest way of course.
His choice of Chocolate Rum Balls was outstanding. And this super simple recipe from Food Network was a bonus.
Chopped semisweet and bittersweet chocolate are melted over simmering water.
Cubed butter is then stirred in until nice and creamy.
Next, the confectioners sugar and rum are stirred into the chocolate mixture until a dough is formed.
Notice the texture in the picture above. The chocolate dough is pliable, easy to roll into 1-inch balls for dipping in chocolate sprinkles. DO NOT REFRIGERATE MIXTURE. If you don’t have time to roll the balls now or if you were to say run out of chocolate sprinkles (hmm mmm) before finishing the rolling and coating step, just simply seal the chocolate mixture in an airtight container until ready to roll.
One small container of chocolate sprinkles will coat approximately 15 1-inch balls. I will buy the big tub next time :) since the recipe will easily make 50 delicious Chocolate Rum Balls. Thank Allan for a stellar choice.
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 1 stick butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
- 3 Tbl. dark rum (I used Bacardi Gold)
- Chocolate sprinkles, for rolling (Lg. tub)
- In a medium metal bowl, combine both types of chocolate and melt over a pot of simmering water. Whisk in the butter pieces. Whisk in the sugar and rum.
- Put sprinkles in a shallow bowl. Roll the chocolate mixture into small balls, about 1-inch in diameter. Roll them in sprinkles until they are fully coated. Store them in an airtight container.
If you loved these Chocolate Rum Balls you might also enjoy Vanilla Rum Balls.
20,956 total views, 2 views today