The holidays have a way of throwing
us me off course. No matter how hard I try, temptation is waiting at every turn. This year is going to be different. Yes, I will cave to some temptations, or better said…enjoy my favorite dishes in moderation. Yet, what I won’t do is completely abandon my Healthy Choices plan only to start over on January 1st. Nope, not gonna do it.
This Chickpea & Spinach Stew, adapted from Weight Watchers, is going to keep me on track.
This recipe is so easy I prepared (and pictured) it during my lunch break, in the kitchen at my office. We’re talking easy, tasty and filling. Cumin, ginger, lemon juice and fresh cilantro give this stew it’s bright flavor. Chickpeas, diced tomatoes and fresh spinach give it the protein and nutrients to sustain you throughout the afternoon.
We’ve just celebrated the one year anniversary of our remodeled office kitchen and break room. We now have a second refrigerator and a wonderful stove with double ovens which will most certainly get a work-out during the holidays!! That is precisely why I’m focusing on Healthy Choices during my favorite food holidays.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 Tbl. water
- 1 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet. Sauté onion until tender. Add salt, garlic, cumin and ginger and cook another minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and chickpeas and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Use a potato masher to gently break some of the chickpeas. Reduce heat to low, add fresh spinach and cover allowing spinach to wilt for 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with lemon juice & fresh cilantro.
1,936 total views, 2 views today