You know that little local Mexican joint that has become your convenient fast lunch or after-work margarita spot. Mine closed down without even as much as a good-bye whisper. While there wasn’t anything extra special about this place, their Beef, Bean & Cheese Nachos with Jalapeños became one of my favorite comfort foods.
I’ve never made Beef, Bean & Cheese Nachos at home before now. I never needed to. I may never order them out again.
Start with good quality THIN tortilla chips. There is no comparison.
Brown your ground beef in a skillet, using a wooden spoon to break it into fine pieces. Remember nice and fine, don’t be afraid to add a little water to help the beef break down. Season it to taste with chili powder, cumin, ground oregano, cayenne, salt & pepper.
Make restaurant style Queso Blanco cheese dip. You know the ultra mild & creamy white cheese dip that comes to the table almost too thin to stick to anything. Yet before you know it, you’re dipping everything in your reach into the bowl…as it magically thickens to a perfect consistency. Yes, make a batch of that dip.
For the beans, straight out of a can isn’t going to do it here. Too thick. Begin with a can of your favorite refried beans, then add a 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Heat through and notice how creamy the beans become. That’s what we’re talking about.
Pile chips with beef, beans, cheese and jalapeños (optional); repeat. Bake until cheese is bubbly and just beginning to brown.
I couldn’t wait to tell the girls at the office that I had recreated our favorite Beef, Bean & Cheese Nachos with Jalapeños. Even though we all had our own way of ordering these (some without beans, some with beans but no jalapeños) we shared a common love of this dish. No matter how long a week it had been we could count on these nachos to ease our minds and please our palates. I’m happy to announce ~ Nacho Party at the office very soon. xo Libby
- 1 bag good quality thin tortilla chips
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1 lb. white American cheese, cut into cubes
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup fine diced jalapeno, optional
- 1 can refried beans
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheese (Monterey jack or cheddar)
- Brown your ground beef in a skillet, using a wooden spoon to break it into fine pieces. Remember nice and fine, don't be afraid to add a tablespoon or two of water to help the beef break down. Season it to taste with chili powder, cumin, ground oregano, cayenne, salt & pepper. Drain well.
- In a microwaveable bowl, add the cubed American cheese and milk. Microwave in one minute intervals, stirring in between until cheese has melted. Stir in finely diced jalapeno if desired.
- Heat beans in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sour cream and cheese and continuing cooking until combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On an oven proof baking sheet, pile chips with beef, beans, cheese and sliced jalapeños (optional); repeat. Bake until cheese is bubbly and just beginning to brown, about 10 - 15 minutes.
7,786 total views, 3 views today