Just a little appeteaser…
Start with beautiful sea scallops, rinse and pat dry. For these I lightly rolled the edges of the scallops in some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Set aside while you make pesto.
The fun thing about pesto is using the basic basil pesto recipe as a guide (garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, olive oil and s&p) you can interchange the ingredients to create your own favorite. I had macadamia nuts on hand and a big bunch of fresh cilantro so I replaced the pine nuts and basil.
This was a delicious start to a wonderful evening. Sea Scallops…how I adore you.
- 6 large sea scallops
- sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 Tbl. canola oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- 2 Tbl. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (leaves & fine stems)
- 2-3 Tbl. olive oil
- sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Rinse scallops and pat dry. Roll edges in sea salt and cracked black pepper. Set aside.
- Add garlic, macadamia nuts, Parmesan cheese, and cilantro to a small food processor. Pulse a few times to chop nuts. With processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until mixture comes together. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Add a little canola oil to an oven proof skillet (to get the nice brown sear do not use non-stick skillet). Heat pan on stove-top to med-high (you should see the oil start to shimmer in the pan). Place the dry scallops face down in pan and do not touch them for 2 minutes (while it's tempting...resist). At the two minute mark you can peak to see that they have browned.
- Turn over scallops, then top with 1 Tbl. of pesto mixture.
- Move pan to oven and broil for another minute or so until tops are golden brown.
4,829 total views, 1 views today