I was thumbing through a new cookbook and came upon this beautiful recipe for Lemon Ginger Muffins. It called for lemon and crystallized ginger which we had leftover from a Thanksgiving recipe. It was a sign. These muffins are delightful.
Ginger and Lemon are such a fabulous flavor combination. But did you know they have tremendous health benefits as well? Here’s a great article listing the benefits of both of these powerful ingredients, along with a recipe for Lemon & Ginger Water. Sounds like a great way to start a Healthy Choices day.
I remember Mom loving crystallized ginger. She said it eased stomach discomfort and arthritis pain. We’d always watch for it in the specialty shops. Now I find it readily available at Whole Foods Market. My sister says when we have a Mom aka Grammy memory it’s called a Grammory. I LOVE that!!
Lemon Ginger Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbl. freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 1/2 Tbl. melted butter
- 1 Tbl. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or cooking spray; reserve.
- Combine flour, 1 Tbl. lemon zest, and baking powder in a medium bowl; reserve.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar and crystallized ginger in your Vitamix or food processor container. Starting at the lowest setting, increasing to Variable 3 blend for 5 seconds or until ginger is finely chopped.
- Starting at the lowest setting, add 1/3 cup butter to the container, slowly increase to Variable 4 and blend for 10 seconds or until well combined. Stop blending and use a rubber spatula to scrape sides.
- Add milk and egg to the container. Begin at the lowest setting, slowly increase to Variable 5 and blend for 15 seconds.
- Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and combine by hand until well mixed.
- Spoon 1/4 cup into each muffin cup. Mixture will be thick. Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp. lemon zest. In a separate small bowl, combine 2 1/2 Tbl. melted butter with lemon juice.
- While muffins are still hot, dip the tops into melted butter then into lemon sugar. Cool on wire racks.
11,709 total views, 2 views today