We’re celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month one tasty sandwich at a time. This grilled cheese sandwich was inspired by one of my favorite deli sandwiches. Boar’s Head Beef Bologna with Mozzarella on Italian bread with mayo. And sometimes tomato. My love of bologna started very early on.
My brother and sister and I have come to realize that many of the foods we grew up on (and fell in love with) were the ‘affordable’ ingredients. We ate a lot of ground beef, eggs, pasta and bologna & cheese sandwiches. Heck, we ate bologna for breakfast. I remember sunny summer mornings when mom would set the picnic table in the backyard for breakfast. We’d have scrambled eggs, baked beans, fried bologna, buttered toast, orange juice, home fries, sliced tomatoes. Aaaah. Those were the carefree happy days that make me yearn for summertime and great big hearty breakfasts.
Thanks for the memories Fried Bologna & Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Hope to visit with you again real soon.
- 4 slices Italian bread
- 2 thick slices of beef bologna
- 2 ounces mozzarella, sliced or shredded
- 1 Tbl. mayonnaise
- 1 sliced Roma tomato (optional)
- butter for pan frying
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add a little butter, then pan fry the bologna slices on both sides.
- Top each slice with mozzarella cheese and place between two mayonnaise coated bread slices. Add tomato slices if desired. Grill sandwiches in melted butter until golden brown on each side.
4,060 total views, 1 views today