Coconut Almond Shrimp with Sweet & Spicy Orange Sauce.
Tonight marks the end of the 4th of July Holiday week. And if you’re anything like me, you’ve been milking it for everything it’s worth. We have spent the last 36 hours on “vacation” at our good friend’s new lake home. Tucked away miles from the hustle and bustle (yet less than an hour from home), sits their beautifully peaceful retreat. We rolled in jet ski adventures, with big laughs, a great dinner, porch sitting, and Breakfast at Wimbledon. Just perfect!
I have been itching to make Coconut Shrimp. And “vacation” is the perfect excuse to make something sinful. This was a first attempt, there are none left, we’ll call that a success. The coating was crispy yet left the shrimp juicy and sweet. The almonds added a hint of nutty to the delicious coconut flavor. As a new found lover of spicy hot food I’ve become a big fan of sweet heat. Combining the sticky goodness of orange marmalade with the light up your mouth flavors of sriracha made this the perfect dipping sauce.
These could easily be served as a treat…
- 12 large shrimp, peeled & deveined, leaving tails on.
- ⅓ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ⅓ cup finely chopped sliced almonds
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup ice water
- canola oil for frying
- ¼ cup sweet orange marmalade
- 2 Tbl. honey
- 1 Tbl. sriracha
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes.
- Peel & devein 12 large shrimp leaving tails on. Heat 1 cup canola oil over med high heat.
- Combine panko, shredded unsweetened coconut, and finely chopped sliced almonds in a shallow dish. Set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, egg, and ice water in a bowl and whisk together. Dip shrimp in batter, then in crumb mixture. Refrigerate for 15 - 30 minutes to help set the breading.
- Deep fry 3-4 shrimp at a time until golden brown for about 1 minute per side. Drain on a brown paper bag.
- Combine orange marmalade, honey, sriracha, and red pepper flakes.
7,665 total views, 4 views today