We were first introduced to Flat Iron Steaks a couple years ago and they are now a favorite for recipes that call for a nice thin sliced steak. They love to be marinated which is how this quick and easy Steak Fajitas recipe adapted from Simply Recipes begins.
Combine the steak with lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, minced garlic, fresh ground cumin, jalapeno, and fresh cilantro in a large ziplock bag and allow to sit at room temperature for an hour, or longer in the fridge.
We find a great way to sear flat iron steaks is in a hot cast iron skillet. So fire up the grill and let your cast iron skillet get good and hot. Before cooking the steak, wipe off any excess marinade. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan then add the steak, cooking for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the steak to a plate and cover with foil for at least 5 minutes. * Recipe note: be sure you have plenty of gas for the grill. If not improvise…and fire up the broiler. And yes, that cast iron skillet has been flipped over and converted into a cast iron griddle.
While the steak rests, cook the peppers and onions in the cast iron skillet, allowing them to sear before stirring, about 5 minutes total.
Slice the steak nice and thin and on an angle across the grain. Serve the Flat Iron Steak Fajitas with the sauteed peppers and onions, fresh tomato salsa, shredded lettuce & cheese, sour cream, guacamole, warm flour tortillas, and a side of Mexican Rice.
- 1 Tbl. canola oil
- 1 lb. flat iron, skirt, or flank steak
- 1 large onion, sliced for caramelizing
- 2-3 bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 Tbl. soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. fresh ground cumin
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and fine chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag, add steak and marinate for 1 hour at room temperature, or longer in the fridge.
- Slice onions and peppers, set aside.
- Preheat gas grill to high heat, then add cast iron skillet until hot.
- Before cooking steak, wipe off excess marinade, and sprinkle steak with salt.
- Add 1 Tbl. canola oil to hot cast iron skillet, then add steak searing for 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove to plate and cover with foil for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- While steak rests, add onions and peppers to cast iron skillet, searing until lightly browned on one side before stirring. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice steak at an angle across the grain.
- Serve with fresh salsa, sauteed onions & peppers, shredded lettuce and cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and warm flour tortillas.
33,835 total views, 1 views today