Came through the door last Friday evening (mind you…my most favorite evening to transition from work…to my garage…to the kitchen…is Friday). You know the feeling. What a Feeling!! Flash-Dance mode. Sorry. Not sorry.
So I’ve made us a Lightened Up Shrimp & Grits.
I LOVE Shrimp & Grits. I REALLY love shrimp & grits. I’m also working hard to make Healthy Choices.
This dish delivers all the comfort, big flavor, yummy shrimp, and creamy grits you’d expect. Haven’t yet calculated the WW Pts+, but I will and will update the recipe. I just couldn’t wait any longer to post Lightened Up Shrimp & Grits.
Don’t let the number of ingredients spook you. This recipe could easily be presented as 1-2-3.
Step 1 ~ Choose your aromatics. The yummy stuff that when sautéed makes your kitchen smell awe-mazing. We love garlic & onions always, but in this case we also added jalapenos.
Step 2 ~ Season it baby! Depending on the dish, choose fresh or dried herbs & spices that compliment the dish. I used smoked paprika, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Feel free to mix it up.
Step 3 ~ Pull it together! In this case, we need a sauce…add a can of diced tomatoes, 2 cups of thickened broth and simmer. Shrimp & grits call for shrimp & grits. Prepare them individually. Then layer all this loveliness and get happy.
This bowl of awe-mazing Lightened Up Shrimp & Grits is certifiably delicious.
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- ¼ onion, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbl. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (14.5-ounce no-salt added tomatoes)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbl. corn starch
- 1 lb. peeled & deveined shrimp
- 1 cup quick grits
- 4 cups broth
- ½ cup reduced fat cheese or 2-3 Laughing Cow Wedges
- scallions, for garnish
- Sauté jalapenos, onion, red onion in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté another minute. Add in seasonings (smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, and chili powder) and stir to combine. Pour in diced tomatoes with juice and broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small jar, shake 1 Tbl. of corn starch with ½ cup warm simmer liquid. Add back into sauce base and whisk into wonderful. Continue to simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare grits, according to package instructions using broth instead of water. Add cheese after 5 minutes, stir until incorporated.
- Grill shrimp on an oiled grill or grill pan for 1-2 minutes per side until transparent.
- To serve, place a serving of grits in a bowl, top with shrimp, then a ladle of sauce. Garnish with scallions.
3,317 total views, 1 views today