By mid-morning I was getting step by step details on how my intended crock pot dinner was turning into an amazing slow braised pot of hearty love.
So I laid these ingredients out on the counter this morning, quietly suggesting that they might turn into dinner.” There’s a great recipe that’s sweeping through homes – Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Pot Roast. We’ll revisit this recipe sometime soon, but today my suggestion was hijacked.
Step 1….Seasoning the pot with bacon.
Then brown the roast on all sides…should look like…
Remove roast and add coarsely chopped veg and cook to this point…
Next deglaze with a good (we’re gonna drink it later), but not great…cab or pinot noir.
….thusly nestle the roast back in and use a rich beef stock to bring the liquid a little over half way up the roast….Now, add mushrooms, cut in half…along with garlic, shallots, Worcestershire sauce, and fresh lemony thyme.
Seems I’m out of fresh garlic, but these work great…
Maybe better than fresh in a long braise…
Next comes the braising. What you’re looking for is a slow burble not a boil. Start out at 300 degrees and hourly adjust temp. accordingly to maintain the slow burble. (Started at 300 went to 285 then settled at 250 for about 3 1/2 hours total cooking time).
Any time I arrive home and the smell of dinner greets me as I step out of my car I know it’s going to be a great night. Perhaps one of my favorite things about Braisings are the wonderful aromas….akin to fresh baked bread or sizzling bacon and onions. Love. This roast was so tender and moist with incredible rich flavor.
Hope dinner is hijacked again sometime soon!
- 1 3-4 lb. Beef chuck roast
- salt & pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 onion, big chunks
- 15 Baby Carrots
- 2 cups rich beef stock
- 8 oz. mushrooms, stems on & halved
- ½ cup good (but not great) cabernet or pinot noir
- 2 Tbl. Worcestershire
- ⅛ cup dried garlic (or 3-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced)
- ⅛ cup dried shallot (or 1-2 small shallot, thin sliced)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large Dutch oven, lay 3 slices of bacon across bottom over medium heat. Cook bacon until crispy, remove bacon and pour off all rendered fat.
- Add roast and brown on all sides & edges, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and add onions and carrots to pan and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan, scrapping all brown bits with wooden spoon. Return roast to pan, nestle in vegetables. Add beef stock to bring liquid up to just over half way up the roast. Then add mushrooms, garlic, shallot, Worcestershire, thyme.
- Cover pan and braise in oven, checking each hour to insure slow burble (not boil). Reduce heat accordingly.
- Total cooking time approx. 3½ hours.
9,310 total views, 4 views today