From the moment I first took a bite of this fabulous dish I knew. Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole and I were going to be life long friends. It’s the perfect combination of creamy, nutty, healthy goodness combined with the comfort that comes from a warm bowl of homemade chicken soup.
Wild rice is fabulous on it’s own as a side dish. It’s naturally low in fat, high in fiber, and a good source of protein. It takes a little longer to cook than standard long grain rice, so when making this casserole you may want to make the rice the day before to cut down on the overall cooking time. Same goes for the chicken, this is the perfect dish to come the day after you roast a whole chicken.
Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole is a hearty dish. Over the years I’ve replaced some of the higher fat and sodium laden ingredients to come up with a full flavor, yet lighter ‘fresh’ version of this beautiful dish. Serve with a side salad for a wonderful family meal. The casserole can be made a day ahead and then baked before serving.
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 16 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbl. fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Tbl. flour
- 1 can fat free evaporated milk
- 2 wedges Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1½ cups uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbl. fresh parsley, chopped
- cooking spray
- Prepare wild rice according to package instructions, using chicken broth instead of water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a Dutch oven, sauté onion, carrots, and celery for 5-7 minutes until just tender. Then add the mushrooms, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Dust vegetables with flour, cook for 1-2 minutes, then gradually add in evaporated milk, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil; then reduce heat to low. Add in Laughing Cow wedges and parmesan cheese, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, stir in cooked wild rice, cubed chicken, and frozen peas. Adjust seasoning to taste. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and chopped parsley. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 25-30 minutes until topping is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
15,764 total views, 1 views today