It’s football season, officially Autumn Thyme and we’ve dipped into the low 60’s here in the sunny south. I for one am ready for fall. Bring on apples, pumpkins, soups, stews, chili, comfort food and game day recipes, preferably in the form of hot dips. Hot dips like BBQ Chicken Pizza Dip.
I made a Hot Pizza Dip a few months back that was crazy good. It was a traditional pepperoni pizza turned dip recipe. What’s not to love. Yet, that’s not my favorite pizza combination. I’m a BBQ Chicken Pizza girl, served with a drizzle or dipping of Ranch Dressing. Why not turn my favorite pizza into a hot dip? Rhetorical. It happened. And it was good. Think Buffalo Chicken Dip concept except replace buffalo flavor with BBQ flavor. Heavenly.
I picked up a rotisserie chicken on my way home from work, making this dip a cinch to put together. The other key ingredient I love on our BBQ Chicken Pizza is grilled red onion. It brings a nice sweet crunch which went perfectly in this dip as well.
Chopped cooked chicken, grilled red onion, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, BBQ sauce and ranch dressing, mixed well then scooped into your favorite 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
Sprinkle with a bit more mozzarella and diced red onion and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is hot and bubbly. Drizzle with BBQ sauce and ranch dressing then sprinkle with scallion and cilantro to serve.
I bought a tube of refrigerated pizza dough, cut it into strips and baked it. It made delicious ‘pizza crust’ bread sticks, perfect for dunking into BBQ Chicken Pizza Dip.
- 1 rotisserie chicken or about 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- ½ cup diced grilled red onion
- 2 8-ounce blocks cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup BBQ sauce, plus more for drizzle
- ½ cup ranch dressing, plus more for drizzle
- scallion and cilantro for garnish
- 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cooked chicken, grilled red onion, cream cheese, 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, BBQ sauce and ranch dressing. Mix well and pour into a 1½ quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 25-30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Drizzle with BBQ sauce and ranch dressing. Garnish with scallion and cilantro to serve.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out pizza dough and cut into 12 strips. Place strips on cooking spray coated baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
4,210 total views, 3 views today